Friday, July 24, 2015

Give Healing a Chance

A 58-year-old man shot up a movie theater.

A semi sped through a construction zone, causing an accident that killed 5 people including himself and two children.

A man doused a woman in gasoline and set her on fire.

A truck driver (possibly the same man who set the woman on fire) drove the wrong way down the interstate, causing another fatal crash.

All in the last 24 hours.

It's a hard day to feel deeply. It's a hard day for empathy. It's a hard day to believe in goodness.

I don't know how much mental illness played a role in today's atrocities, but I do believe it is a factor more often than not when people choose to hurt one another, especially in cold blood.

So today, I'll be glad I chose the chance that I could feel better. I'm glad that even after therapy failed and coping skills weren't enough, I still took a chance on finding help for my mixed depression and anxiety disorder. 

And today I'll choose the chance that someone out there was waiting for a sign, a small word of validation, a tiny nudge, a token of courage. Take a chance. It isn't easy, but you deserve it. The world needs more people willing to take a chance to improve their mental well-being. 

No comments:

Post a Comment